Monday, July 27, 2009

Be Truthful

Zechariah 8:16 "Speak the truth to each other." How do we teach our children to be honest? We must model it first and formost. If you were given to much change at a store, give it back and make it a teachable moment. When you want to take a day off, don't call in sick if you aren't. They are watching, and confusion from your inconsistent behavior leads to compromise and a indifferent attitude to absolutes in your children. Of course your children must also learn to withhold information for reasons of personal safety (i.e. phone number and details about themselves on the internet etc.). Make use of every teachable moment.
Share a teachable moment where your kids caught you in a lie or caught you telling the truth. What happened? Together we can share and grow.

3 comments:

  1. I remember one time I made it out to the car at Sams and realized they hadn't charged me for the cat food bag underneath. I told my youngest that we had to go back in and pay for it. He was not happy, because he was tired, but mostly he was suprised. He said, "You got free cat food, God gave you free cat food." I had to use this opportunity to teach him that God is not going to use dishonesty as an avenue to bless us. He will not contradict Himself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son and I had the opportunity to tour the Pt. Vicente Lighthouse one summer, but you had to be 7 years old to go on the tour, and at the time, by son was only 6. I told him that if the Tour Guides were to ask me what his age was when we got to the door, that I was going to tell them he was 7, and that he should just remain quiet, and not say anything. He really called me on the carpet on this one!!! He told me that it was a lie, and that we shouldn't be lying just to get something we want. God really used my little one to teach me a lesson that I should have been teaching him! Kids are watching us all the time, and they will spot a compromise a mile away. We MUST be consistent in how we are living our lives!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blog, Donna.
    Nothing is wasted with God. What a great opportunity to model for him what we need to do when we mess up. They will mess up (plenty). Knowing how to receive correction with grace, admitting fault, and allowing ourselves to receive forgiveness are also very valuable teachable moments. Not to get off the subject, but it amazes me how many people make mistakes and can't forgive themselves even though God and others have. Little ones that learn the wonderous gift of grace and forgiveness are more prepared for the rocky bumps their lives are bound to take. Blessings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete