Wednesday, August 12, 2009

He will get you through

My heart is heavy this morning with the sad news of the death of one of my children's friends. He died early this morning of an intentional drug overdose. As I sit looking at my 20 year old crying daughter, who is only 2 weeks younger then him, I am thankful for who she is and how strong she has become. Never believe the statistics. They say that as soon as you're a single mom your kids are basically going to fall apart in every way. Bologna! God eats statistics for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. He is every scientist's worse nightmare. The truth is your task is now going to be harder. It will be a bigger mountain to climb, and at times you will believe you can't possibly make it, but you can and you will! Keep your children in church every week and bible study with their peers, pray over them and with them, talk to them, and listen - listen - listen! You have to be a safe sounding board. I can't stress it enough. My kids have brought some serious issues to me over the years. My initial internal response would be "OH MY GOODNESS!!" but on the outside I keep calm and listen and answer questions. You won't do everything right. I promise, but God will fill in where you lack. He is faithful to the fervent prayer of His people. He will get you and them through.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brenda, I just joined the blog and there was your message. I am so so sorry for your daughter's loss, my prayers are with her and this boy's family. You are so right about being there for your kids, and listening, listening, listening! My daughter and I are so close because she knows she can talk to me about anything and we go to God's word for answers and comfort. Tracey Bracy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy,
    Welcome to the blog. Thank you for your kind words. I will let the family know that prayers are going up on their behalf. Also, thank you for modeling how to place Christ at the center of everyday life and sharing it with us. Blessings
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete